Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Zion National Park

I started from Phoenix around 10 am on a Monday morning and drove north towards Flagstaff.  I had calculated that it'd take me about 6-7 hours to drive to Zion National Park.  I planned to stop in Flagstaff and Page to stretch and use the restroom.  I took I40 and Highway 89 to bypass the Flagstaff business district, which would've slowed me down by about 30 minutes.  Luckily, they fixed the road on Highway 89 just south of Page.  This part of the road was damaged about 3 years ago when some rocks fell and damaged the road.  It took the Department of Transportation more than 2 years to repair  it.  If not, I'd have to drive through Tuba City and Kayenta, which would add another hour to the drive.  I stopped at a McDonald's in Page for a small sandwich and take a short restroom break.

I arrived at Zion at about 6 pm local time.  At this time of the year, Utah is 1 hour ahead of Phoenix.  I was lucky to be able to reserve a campsite since the lodge at the park was completely sold out.  At this website, http://www.recreation.gov you can reserve campsites and find out about all kinds of recreational activities at the National Parks.  The campsite normally costs $16 per night but with my senior pass, I only pay 50% - $8.

The Zion Hilton - with air mattress

A couple of mule deer welcoming me to Zion
I came in through the East Entrance of the park, which means I have to drive about 12 miles to the south entrance, where the campground and the Visitor Center are located.  Because of the speed limit and the switchbacks, it took about 45 minutes to drive from east to south entrance.  I did not know this before, but just outside the south entrance is a small town called Springdale, which has restaurants and hotels that are reasonably priced.  I ate dinner and breakfast in Springdale.

The park provides a free shuttle that takes you through the Scenic Drive.  Private vehicles are not allowed on this scenic drive.  There is also a free shuttle that takes you to Springdale because parking is limited within the park.

Zion and Bryce are probably the two most popular of the Might 5.  There are many recreational activities in the park - camping, bicycling, horseback riding, hiking and canyoneering, and backpacking into wilderness area.  There is also a lot of wildlife in the park, although with such a large crowd, the animals tend to stay in the wilderness area.  One of the best know and popular hiking area is called The Narrows.  You wade, walk or sometimes swim in the river to reach a narrow canyon.  I waded or walked part of it but because of time constraint, I did not reach the narrow canyon.  Below are a couple of pictures of the river and the early part of the canyon.

Hiking into the Narrows



The scenery here is gorgeous.  No wonder this park is so popular.  With just one day, you have to pick and choose where you want to go.  Another popular trail is called Angels Landing, a rather strenuous hike up the side of a mountain.  The park newsletter has hikes divided into easy, moderate and strenuous.  If you are planning on hiking, the best thing to do is stop at the Visitor Center and ask one of the rangers on duty.






Trail Up Angel Landing



No comments:

Post a Comment