Friday, June 19, 2015

Canyonlands National Park

Canyonlands landscape was created over time by erosion into canyons, mesas and buttes by the Colorado and Green River.  It has two main areas:  the Needles District, which is further west, and the Island in the Sky District, which is about an hour from Moab.  I skipped the Needles District because by the time I approached the area, it was getting dark.  This was the last of the Mighty 5 parks that I wanted to visit.  After this I drove to Salt Lake City, where I spent 3 nights there before going to Yellowstone with my friends.

Even though it's quite close to Moab, it is not as crowded as Arches.  Probably because the landscape is not as impressive.  Like the other parks, if you want really want to see and appreciate the beauty of the park, you have to hike, hike or take a four-wheel drive vehicle into some of the inaccessible areas.  You can also take river rafting trips offered by private companies.

Most visitors drive to the lookout points and admire the canyons from there.  You can cover most of the overlooks in a few hours.  This is what I did, since I was just going to spend a few hours here.  It's like how a lot of people see the Grand Canyon, from the rim.







No comments:

Post a Comment