Sunday, September 25, 2011

Night Train to Bucharest

We took an overnight train from Budapest to Bucharest on Friday evening.  We left Budapest at about 7 pm and arrived in Bucharest at about 11:30 am on Saturday morning.  It was about a 16-17 hour slow train ride with many stops.  If you look at the map of Hungary and Romania, we started in Budapest, which is in the middle of the country, across almost the entire country of Romania to the south-east corner to Bucharest.  A couple of interesting things happen on the journey.
About an hour after the journey started, 3 guys sat next to Ralph and I.  I couldn't make out their nationalities and language so I asked one of them.  They were from Morocco.  They said they are seeking asylum, whatever that means, and they have no money.  I thought to myself...this is going to be a long night.  I cannot afford to go to sleep.  I have my small backpack next to me with my laptop and passport.  These guys don't look too savory and we have to keep an eye on them.   Fortunately, after a couple of hours, the conductor came by and kicked them off the train.  It turned out that they were stowaways and don't have valid tickets.  They had to get off the train at the next station.  Both Ralph and I breathed a big sigh of relief.  I think these guys go around doing anything to survive.  Naturally, stealing or robbing unwary travelers is probably the easiest for them.
As a side note, if we think we have a problem with illegal immigration, Europe has a bigger problem.   Illegal immigrants from Africa and the Middle East are finding ways to get to the countries north of the Mediterranean sea and once they get into Italy, Spain, Greece, etc, they can get almost anywhere in Europe because all the European Union (EU) countries do not check for passports anymore at the EU borders.  Of course, they flee to countries with higher wages, like Scandinavia, Germany, UK, etc.
Another couple of hours later, a Hungarian guy on the train started talking to me in Japanese.  I signaled that I don't understand him.  He insisted that I am Japanese, that he can tell the difference between Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese.  I told him that I am Chinese.  He said he lived in Japan for 3 years.  I could not quite understand him but he said something like he has a Toyota and he wants me to fix it for him.  I kept ignoring him and at one point he was starting to get belligerent.  Finally, he just walked away.  Whew....what a close call.  This guy was obviously crazy.

Traveling in Europe is fun but you always have to watch out for scam artists.  This article by Rick Steves in a recent USA Today talks about the many scams going on.  We've encountered a few already.
http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/story/2011-09-24/48Rick-Steves-How-to-avoid-travel-scams-in-Europe/50531516/1

The evening we got into Budapest, Ralph and I were crossing one of the bridges and enjoying the night scenery over the Danube River.  As I walked past someone taking pictures over the bridge, he asked if I can take a picture of him.  I said okay but it seemed like his phone camera wasn't working.  I gave it back to him and then out of nowhere, a burly guy jumped in front of me and said, "Police....you are arrested for changing money.." and he flashed a badge.  I said "NO!" very loudly and I think that threw them off-balance a little bit and then we started walking away quickly.  Fortunately, they did not pursue us after they realized that we are not easy targets.
All the European cities are full of these scam artists.  We always come across people trying to ask us directions or wanting to help us or engage us in any kind of conversation.  Fortunately, Ralph and I are seasoned travelers and we are constantly on the lookout for them.
One thing I haven't seen a lot on this trip are gypsies.  They used to be in every European city and they are very good (in robbing or stealing from you).  A lot of the European countries are driving them out, supposedly back to Romania.
In Croatia, I went to a cafe to have coffee while we were waiting for the bus.  I gave the waiter a 100-kuna note but he gave me change as if I gave him a 50-kuna note.  I told him I gave him a 100-kuna note but he insisted that I gave him a 50.  I finally gave up but I noticed quite a few times that some of the merchants near the train and bus station always try to do that.  They try to take advantage of your short lapse in attention and give you less change that you are entitled to.  It was a small loss for me but a big wake-up call to be constantly on the lookout.

We got into Sofia, Bulgaria, this evening, after spending only 1 night and about 24 hours in Bucharest.

No comments:

Post a Comment