Sunday, April 9, 2017

Nara

From Nagoya I took a train to Kyoto, then change to another train to Nara.  I am so glad I bought the Japan Railway (JR) Pass.  All the trains that I have been taking are JR trains so it's free for me.  Besides, it's nice not to worry about the fare and which train to take.  Trains are so convenient in Japan that I usually have several options.  I use a website called Hyperdia and it gives me several options based on the parameters I put in.  It works wonderfully.  It also has a smartphone app, which I found does not always give you the best options.

I arrived at Nara train station a little after noon.  I had a lot of trouble booking a room in Nara because it's a very popular tourist destination.  Why?  I am not 100% sure.  At first I booked a bed at a hostel just to be sure that I have a place to stay for the night.  I didn't want to end up in a situation like I did in 2011 homeless in Copenhagen.  Eventually, I was lucky and managed to book a room at the Sun Hotel.  According to the hotel, it is only a 2-minute walk from the train station.  Again, I did a big detour, had to ask someone, and finally found the hotel after about 15 minutes.  Indeed, it is only 2 minutes from the station, if you knew where you were going.

I only have 1 night in Nara.  So, after an excellent lunch at a local restaurant, I was ready to go.

Lunch of curry noodles and a rice bowl with pork for 1000 yens (about $9)

Restaurant where I ate lunch.  Very popular based on the local clientele
The most popular tourist spot in Nara is the Nara Park.  From the train station, I took the No. 2 bus there, about a couple of miles away.  When I got there, there were throngs of tourists.  Mostly, I think because of the very domesticated deer population there.  Deer were everywhere.  They have no fear for humans.  In fact, they would come next to you expecting to be fed cookies which you can buy from vendors all over the park.  It is an amazing, yet sad sight.  These are supposed to be wild animals but have been spoiled by humans.  I heard a lot of Mandarin so I assume a lot of the tourists are from China.  As usual, they bring their loud voices and bad manners with them.  But, what can the Japanese hosts say; they spend money here.

Taking a selfie with one of the deer

The deer come right to you expecting to be fed

They are all over the park

Deer cookies for 150 yens
I took a Kintetsu train from the Nara Station, changed at the Yamato-Saidaji Station and get off at the Nishinokyo Station, so that I can see the Toshodaiji Temple and the Yakushiji Temple.  But I was too late.  They both close at 5 pm.  I got there at about 5:30 pm.  Both temples are highly recommended but with only half a day, I can only see so much.  It's too bad.  I should've gone there first instead of Nara Park.  Another place I wanted to see is the Heijo Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  I'll have to try to see these places on a future trip.

I ended up walking around the shopping area in the city centers.  Not much different from other shopping streets in Japan.  There were many tourists here, for whatever reasons.

Todaiji Temple

A deity inside the temple

Another deity 

Rice balls on a stick

One of the many shopping streets

Two men pounding a rice pastry

A long line of people waiting to buy these rice pastries

No comments:

Post a Comment