Thursday, April 27, 2017

Hiroshima

In the morning after breakfast, Akemi and I took a taxi to the Kyoto Train Station.  In my previous visit, I spent some time at the station.  It's one of the nicest train stations.  It's more than a train station.  It's really like a shopping complex, anchored by Isetan, a big Japanese department store.  When Takeshi took me here in 2010, we went to a very upscale restaurant in one of the buildings nearby.  It was my first time eating traditional Japanese food - about 10 courses, each course a beautiful presentation of fish, meat, tofu, etc.  It was like a dinner spun into a poem.

There is an express train called the Nozomi but the JR Pass I have does not include that.  I think it's because it's an express train and has a higher fare.  I took the Shinkansen Hikari 463 to Shin-Osaka, had 9 minutes to look for the platform for the Shinkansen Sakura 553, then found an empty seat in the front of Car No. 1 and sat there.  I was not able to get a seat reservation this time because I did not plan ahead.  I thought it'd be like the other shinkansens that I took, that I will always be able to get a reserve seat.  But, apparently, the Kyoto to Hiroshima route is very popular because after a few stops the train got very crowded.  Some passengers were standing, which I have not seen on other trains before.  By the time I arrived at the Hiroshima Train Station, the first thing I did was reserve a seat on the train from Hiroshima to Fukuoka two days later.

At the Hiroshima Train Station, I took the No. 1 streetcar to Hatchobori Station, then walked about 10 minutes to the Oriental Hotel.  It costs ¥160 or about $1.50.  It was slightly drizzling when I walked to the hotel.

The mention of the name Hiroshima conjures an image of a city devastated by the atomic bomb.  But, that was 72 years ago!  Americans just can't let go of that image or that moment in history.  Yes, the Japanese can't forget either.  It was and still is the first place to be intentionally bombed by an atomic bomb.  Hiroshima remembers the occasion by building  the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, which holds two prominent memorial:  the Peace Memorial Museum and the Atomic Bomb Dome.

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum

Atomic Bomb Dome
Going through the museum is a somber experience, just like going through the Nazi concentration camp in Auschwitz or the Killing Fields in Cambodia.  It reminds one of how powerful a nuclear bomb can be and why war should be avoided at all cost.  Today's nuclear bombs are a lot more powerful and will definitely kill a lot more people.  The sufferings that the residents of Hiroshima went through cannot be imagined.

The Atomic Bomb Dome is the remnant of a building that was close to where the bomb exploded.  Most of the building was blown away but miraculously, the structure withstood the explosion.  The City of Hiroshima intends to preserve this structure to remind the world of the bomb's devastation.

On the map that was given to me by the hotel, I found that they have a hop-on, hop-off bus running around the city.  I have taken many of this type of buses in other cities and I find it an inexpensive and quick way of seeing a city.  Fortunately, with the JR Pass I could ride the bus for free, by just showing my pass.  It continued to rain that afternoon and the next morning so I took the bus and went to the Museums of Contemporary Art and the Hiroshima Prefectural Art Museum.  Next to this museum is a beautiful garden near called Shukkei-en.  I spent some time here taking pictures of the cherry blossoms and the area around the lake.  Some of these museums offer discounts or free admission for those over 65.

Cherry Blossoms in bloom at the Shukkei-en Garden

Museum of Contemporary Art

Shukkei-en Garden

White and Pink Blossoms on the same tree

A beautiful lake in the Garden
The rain stopped in the afternoon so I walked to the nearby Hiroshima Castle.  On the way I stopped at a small restaurant across the museum and had a very nice lunch for around ¥900.

A bowl of ramen noodle soup, gyoza (Japanese pot-stickers) and a small bowl of rice for lunch
I took a quick tour of Hiroshima Castle, then starting walking back towards the Peace Memorial Garden, hoping to take some better pictures now that the rain has stopped.

Hiroshima Castle, framed by cherry blossoms
Near the hotel is a popular shopping and entertainment area.  It consists of a long covered pedestrian mall and continue towards a couple of streets that filled with bars, karaoke lounges, restaurants, etc. Most people don't realize that karaoke started in Japan.  They continue to be very popular here.  Some of them have private rooms when you can gather with your friends and eat and sing to your heart's content.

The chef at this restaurant where I ate was very friendly.  Above him is the menu in tablets.

Hon-Dori shopping area
Hiroshima is famous for its oysters

A Toy Shop

A restaurant in the entertainment area
Today's Hiroshima is a beautiful spread-out city.  It's lively and the people are very friendly.  In spite of its past, it has moved on and rebuild itself.

2 comments:

  1. Meng, as usual you have done a great job. Very interesting and informative. I learned more about Japan in this blog than any other history for me. Keep up the postings, and good travel for the rest of the trip. Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grant. I enjoy sharing my travels with my friends.

    ReplyDelete