Friday, November 16, 2012

Bungy!

You can't write about New Zealand without mentioning bungy jumping.  This sport (or craze or whatever you call it) was invented here in the late 1980s'.  Since then there's been bungy jumping all over the world.
On our way into Queenstown, about 20 minutes away, we stopped at the A.J. Hackett's Bungy Center.  This is no "seat of the pants" operation.  In this building is everything you ever want to know about bungy jumping and a few steps away on the bridge, is where you can try it.  We were given a 10-minute introduction to bungy jumping - its history; commentary by one of the founders of the sport, AJ Hackett; jumps at well-known sites around the world, including the Eiffel Tower; etc.
About 10 in my travel group attempted the jump.  It costs about NZ$160.  They also have a video of you jumping that you can buy.  I have a video of someone in my group jumping but unfortunately, the video for this blog did not work after I uploaded it.
Did I jump?  No.  As in skydiving, which was offered many times on the trip, I did not jump.  I did not want to risk hurting my back.

A.J. Hacket's Bungy Center

Inside the 4-story building, a well-run center
Next to the center is the bridge for the jump

Equipment for the jump
Getting Ready

No Turning Back

Dangling above the river below

Being lowered into a rubber raft and taken to the shore

No comments:

Post a Comment