Monday, June 22, 2015

North to Alaska

It's peak summer season in Phoenix and that can meet only one thing:  HOT!  Even though I've lived here for almost 40 years I still cannot handle the heat.  The whole city slows down.  Most go somewhere much cooler, especially San Diego, where the temperature is about 70F or 21C.  Last week the high temperature in Phoenix was between 110-115F (43-46C).  It's about 4 months of hell.  You just stay indoor or go to someplace air-conditioned.




This is a perfect time to be in Alaska.  I've been thinking of this trip for a while since I heard about the Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS).  It's the kind of thing I like to do:  enjoying nature at a leisure pace.  I've taken a commercial cruise before to Alaska - from Vancouver to Southeast Alaska.  It was fun and we ate a lot.  This is really a ferry run by the State of Alaska to connect all the remote places.  I will be taking the one that goes from Homer in south-central Alaska to Dutch Harbor, almost at the end of the Aleutian Islands.  It will take about 3 1/2 days and stop at various ports along the way.
Before the ferry trip, I will spend a few days in Anchorage, then Seward, where the Kenai Fjords National Park is located.
After the cruise, I will spend almost a week in Denali National Park, hoping to see a lot of wildlife there and enjoying the beauty of the place.
These are the two main parts of the trip:  the ferry trip and Denali National Park.  I am leaving things quite open so that I can change or include it as part of the trip.
Hopefully, I can update this blog as I go.  I already know there is no wifi on the ferry so I will be not be able to do so for a few days.
The Travel Alaska website is an excellent resource for finding out more about travels in Alaska.
You can "right-click" on the map above to get a larger picture.
Your comments are most welcome.
Come enjoy Alaska with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment