Thursday, June 18, 2015

Capitol Reef National Park

Capitol Reef is probably the least popular and well-known of the Mighty 5.  One reason may be that it's quite remote and there is not much else around it.  This is reflected in the admission fee:  $5 per car versus $25 for Zion and Bryce.

I drove the Capitol Reef Scenic Drive or Highway 12 from Bryce to Capitol Reef.  It's about a 3-hour drive through a very scenic area.  There are several small towns on the way.  This area is better known for its historical significance as an early Mormon settlement.  I stopped in Tropic for a nice brunch.  My plan was to spend only a couple of hours at Capitol Reef and drive on to Moab where I will spend the night.  I have not showered for 3 days so I am a little anxious to get to a proper hotel and wash up.  Fortunately, I was traveling alone.

They called Capitol Reef the home of the Waterpocket Fold.  This is a nearly 100-mile-long warp in the earth's crust, and according to the National Park's literature, "the fold is a classic monocline: a regional fold with one very steep side in an area of otherwise nearly horizontal rock layers."

It was drizzling when I arrived at Capitol Reef. I stopped at the Visitor's Center and was advised to drive the 16.6 mile Scenic Drive where I saw many massive cliffs.  If you want to see more you can walk/hike trails off this Scenic Drive.  Since it was raining, I did not stay out of the car long.  I was able to stop and took many beautiful pictures, a sample of them are shown below.
























No comments:

Post a Comment