Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ireland and Scotland

If this blog looks familiar, it's because it's the same blog that I used for my travels throughout Europe in the fall of 2011.  It was a two-and-a-half month's journey by train to Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, along the mediterranean coast to Portugal and finally back to Germany.  You can read more about that memorable trip by clicking on the archive posts on the right.
On that trip we wanted to go to Ireland but we ran out of time.  This time I am allocating 5 weeks for travel in Ireland and Scotland.  What's different about this trip is that my girlfriend, Candy, is going with me for the first 2 weeks.  How does that change my travel?  It means that I won't be staying at hostels for the first 2 weeks and I have to shower every day instead of every 3 days.  Just kidding.  I do shower every day regardless of where I stay.
Just a little bit of geography to start with.  When I say Ireland, I mean the Republic of Ireland, an independent country that is part of the European Union (EU).  This is not to be confused with Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom (UK).  Other provinces that are part of the UK are England, Scotland and Wales.  However, Ireland and the UK are often collectively referred to as the British Isles.  Ireland, being part of the EU, uses the euro as its currency.  The UK is also part of the EU  but decided to keep the British pound as its currency.  This means that we'll being using 2 different currencies on this trip.  Fortunately, they all speak English albeit with a strong Irish or Scottish accent.  With a couple of Irish beers or Scotch whiskey I'll be talking like them too.





We are leaving Phoenix on April 22nd, flying direct to London, then to Shannon, Ireland, which is on the west coast of Ireland, near Galway.  We booked a self-drive 6-night tour; with the first 2 nights in Limerick, then 2 nights in Killarney and finally 2 nights in Dublin.  We'll be staying at 3 or 4-star hotels, using each stop to explore the surrounding areas.  Ireland is a small country but has so much history and so many interesting places to visit.  I'll be sharing our adventures with you, our friends and families, on this blog.  As in my past blogs, I hope to share a lot of pictures with you as well.

We spend a 3rd night in Dublin before flying to Edinburgh, Scotland, on April 30th.  Candy only has 5 days in Scotland so we'll have to see where would be the best places to spend her time.  Just like Ireland, Scotland has a long history and beautiful landscape.  Minimally, she will get to see Edinburgh and Glasgow, two of Scotland's biggest cities.


I have 3 weeks to travel on my own in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland.  I plan to travel to outlying areas and enjoy the countryside.  Admire the Scottish Highlands and maybe step on one of the famous Scottish golf courses like St. Andrews or Troon.  How about playing at one of these courses?  You never know.  Maybe I will see Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster.  Oops....I am dreaming.
I plan to take the ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland.  Visit Belfast and see first-hand evidence of the conflict between Catholics and Protestants.  Where are the graffitis that I hear so much about?  See  the castles and the cathedrals, visit the Guinness Brewery and Trinity College in Ireland.  Ah...so much to see, so much to do.  I already wonder if 5 weeks is enough to appreciate both countries.

As in my past blogs, I hope to share my experience and pictures with you.  Many of you, my friends, have told me you enjoy reading my blogs.  Again, I want to say I am very blessed to be able to go on a trip like this.  Hopefully, it will encourage you to travel and see the world.....while you can.  Don't wait.  "Time and Tide wait for no man."






No comments:

Post a Comment