Thursday, May 3, 2012

On the way to Perth

After a long time waiting at the San Francisco airport and about 45 minutes before flight time, I was given a seat on SQ1, which stops in Hong Kong on the way to Singapore.  Whew....what a relief.  If I did not get on the flight, I would have to either walk around the airport for another 12 hours for the next flight at 2 pm the next day or find a cheap hotel near the airport.
The flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong is long - 14 hours.  Luckily, I got an aisle seat and the seat next to me was empty.  I fly Singapore Airlines for a reason.  Their service is so much better and their in-flight entertainment is great.  I watched 3 movies:  Sherlock Holmes, The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo and Caddyshack.  I know Caddyshack is an old movie but I thought I need some laughs after being in a frustrated situation and cooped up on an airplane for 14 hours.
I arrived in Singapore on Saturday afternoon, April 28th.  My niece and her husband picked me up.  I had a little lunch, then took a little nap before meeting my friends in the evening.
Over the next few days I've been visiting family and friends.  Today we leave for Perth, Australia, on a Tiger Airways flight at 3:50 pm.  This is a no-frills airline.  You even have to pay for your water on board.  It's a 5 1/2 hour flight and hopefully, there won't be any delay.
It was an uneventful flight to Perth.  Considering this is a budget airline, it ran very smoothly - leaving on time and even arriving a few minutes early.  At the airport we waited for an old friend to pick us up.  I have not seen my friend Jimmy for at least 10 years.  He and 3 of the 4 of us were in the service together more than 40 years ago.  He is currently a pastor of a 200-member congregation church in Perth.  He has been living in Perth for the last 16 years.  Jimmy took us to Chinatown for dinner.  Even though it was about 11 pm, there were still a few restaurants opened.  It was a wonderful time catching up for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment