Thursday, December 20, 2018

Doha, Qatar

When I was shopping for flights to Nepal, Qatar Airways kept popping up as the lowest fare airline.  I was a little surprised because I heard that it's one of the best airlines and yet they have to discount so much to get passengers.  Perhaps Trump's policy to restrict several Middle Eastern and African countries has an effect on their business.  I researched further and found that if I stop in Doha, Qatar for more than 12 hours I get a free night stay at one of the hotels.  I decided to jump on that.

I bought a ticket on a flight that stops in Doha for 17 hours on the way from Kathmandu to JFK in New York City.  I purposely booked a room at the Souq Waqif Boutique Hotel, which is actually a collection of 9 unique hotels scattered around the Souq.  The Souq Waqif is a historical market in Doha with a variety of shops, selling anything from pets, spices, traditional sweets and cakes, to having smoke shops, restaurants and even a hospital for falcons.  Falconry is a big sport in the Middle East.

I was in Doha for maybe only 6-7 waking hours but I saw a lot.  I first took a bus from the airport and stopped at the famous Museum of Islamic Art, designed by well-known American architect I. M. Pei.  Pei came out of retirement at age 91 to design this iconic building.  After the museum I walked around the Souq Waqif for a few hours, including joining a tour by the hotel for a couple of hours.  It was an opportune time to visit a different country with very impact on my time and wallet.  Below are some pictures I took during that short visit.

A well-lit Museum of Islamic Art

Lobby of the Museum

A historical pitcher

An old bowl

Shish Kebab for dinner

Falconry is a big sport in Qatar

Qataris love playing "dum", a board game

Vendor Selling Tamarind Juice
Inside the Plaza of the Souq Waqif

Camels are an integral part of the Bedouin Culture

An Arabian Horse
Though short it was a worthwhile visit.  I learned a lot about Qatar and Qataris on the tour.  However, I don't know if I will spend more than 2 days here unless you are very much into Qatar and the Islam religion and culture.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really informative knowledge, Thanks for posting this informative Information. Zurich to solden

    ReplyDelete