Monday, May 8, 2017

Why Travel in Japan?

After this 3-week trip, I feel I know Japan a lot better.  Not an expert, but someone who can give a fair and honest opinion.  As you can tell from all my posts, I've had a wonderful time here.  That's because I spent a lot of time planning this trip and I had a lot of help from some friends.  Without them, it'd have been quite different.  Not everyone has friends everywhere so I consider myself fortunate.  But it's my style.  That's why I travel.  I make friends everywhere I go and keep in touch with them.  I enjoy it.  It's also easier when I travel alone because I don't have a companion that I constantly have to talk to.  Being alone makes me more approachable.

I will list first the reasons why you WANT to travel in Japan:


  1. It's very safe - guns are illegal here and the crime rate is very low.  Never once was I threatened or scolded in any way, even when I accidentally bump someone.  Such a contrast to the US when anything can cause a confrontation.  As a matter of fact, most Asian countries are very safe, contrary to what most Americans think.
  2. It's very clean - the Japanese are fastidious about their cleanliness.  Every restroom I went to was clean (and free).  This includes public restrooms in busy tourist areas, shopping centers, etc.  I can write a separate post on restrooms or toilets in Japan.  They are wonderful.
  3. Japanese are helpful and polite - I've heard stories of Japanese actually walking a tourist to his or her destination instead of just pointing and giving directions on how to get to a place.  Most of the signs have an English version but Japan's twisty streets are sometimes hard to navigate.  Unless you ask someone local, sometimes it's almost impossible to find it on your own.
  4. At today's exchange rate (US$1 = ¥112) it's a bargain to travel in Japan.  Yes, hotels and certain things are still expensive but it's not anymore expensive than some of the European countries like Norway, Iceland or Switzerland.
  5. Public transportation is very convenient and easily accessible.  One of the biggest car manufacturing countries also has one of the best railway networks.  As I explained in my previous post, it's easy to get around on trains.  If you have a big group, perhaps 4 or more, maybe it's better for you to rent a car but trains can get you almost anywhere in Japan.
  6. Japan has a long history.  If you want to understand how it went from a sheltered country to an international economic powerhouse, an Oriental culture to an International culture, this is the place to learn.  The blending of east and west is everywhere.
  7. Food - you will love the food.  Be open-minded about raw fish.  The Japanese eat a lot of things raw.  They have been doing this for centuries.  It's healthy and after you've acquired a taste for it, you will love it.  You will never want to eat sushi or sashimi anywhere else.
Why you might NOT WANT to travel in Japan:

  1. Language - very few Japanese speak English.  However, many Japanese learned English but are too shy to speak it.  If you speak slowly to them, they may understand what you say.  Otherwise, use Google Translate on your smartphone.
  2. It's expensive - Yes, some things are expensive but they are no more expensive than the US or other European countries.  There are many restaurants where you can have a meal for abut ¥7,000, around $6.  These are typically restaurants where you order from a machine, get a ticket, seat at the counter or table or get served.  Nice thing:  there are no taxes and tips.
  3. I don't know my way around - join a tour.  Everything is planned for you and just have to follow the guide.  If you prefer to travel on your own, then buy or borrow some tour books.  You can also call the Japanese National Tourism Office in any of the major cities and ask them to send you brochures.
I want to end this Japan portion of my blog with some of my favorite pictures:

Sushi at Yamato's in the Tsukijii Fish Market

Giant Buddha statue at Kamakura

"Stairway to Heaven" at Kamakura 

Japanese girls in kimonos at Kamakura
Carrying my backpack in front of the Ikariya Minshuku in Narai

Volunteer at half-way teahouse on the Nakasendo Trail

One of many signs to guide you on the trail
Girls dressed in kimonos walking past pagoda in Kyoto

Roadside statue of monk in Koyasan

Mitsuo (L) and Akemi in Arasiyama

Temple in Asakusa, Tokyo
Partying in Ueno, Tokyo, amidst the cherry blossoms

Tokyo Tower by the river



No comments:

Post a Comment