Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Irish Pride

So here it is - my last full day of this 5-week trip.  Tomorrow morning I fly from Dublin to London, then direct to Phoenix.  I can't believe it's been five weeks already.  I've spent the last 3 days in Dublin walking around the city; most of the places I've been to before but also further outside the city centre.  There is not much else for me to see in Dublin.  I've posted pictures of most of the interesting places when we first arrived.
Just to get a better understanding of the city, I took a 2-hour walking tour.  Our guide is a student at Trinity College and this is his part-time job.  I get a sense that the Irish are very proud of their country, culture and history.  For the last few hundred years, they have been under British rule.  In 1919 they became an independent Republic of Ireland.  However, 6 counties in the north, comprising Northern Ireland, are still British.  I still don't understand a lot of the history and struggles of the Irish people.  I plan to find and read a good history book on Ireland.  But I get a sense that the struggles of the Irish against the English are very similar to the struggles of the Scots against the English.  It's their desire to be independent and control their own destiny.  I saw the following plague displayed just inside the window of the General Post Office on O'Connell Street as I was walking around the city.  If you want to enlarge it, just left-click on the picture with your mouse.


I started this post at the hostel in Dublin.  But the wifi did not work most of the three days that I was there.  I complained many times to the staff but they just didn't care.  It's out of their control.  I'm going to make sure it's going to get their attention by writing a review in Trip Advisor.  Nowadays, that's my weapon against bad service.  It's also my way to give credit where it's due.  I've written a few good reviews on restaurants and hotels as well.
So I am finishing up this post at the Dublin Airport instead.  They have free wifi, albeit very slow.   I will write my final post when I get back to Phoenix.

2 comments:

  1. When are you going to finish off the trip notes? I have kept up with all of them. It looked like a great trip, and you really got some good pics.......Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Grant. It's been difficult trying to sit down and write my final post of the trip. It's been 2 weeks and it's constantly on my mind. I kept getting side-tracked with other things that needed my attention. I will finish it the next couple of days. Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete