Sunday, August 28, 2011

Homeless

This is something that I did not think of before the trip. Not being able to get a room at a hostel. We tossed around many ideas on where we should go after Copenhagen. By the time we decided that we need to spend another night, there was no space available at any of the hostels within Copenhagen. We tried and tried and asked the hostel staff where we were staying to call for us.
The only space they could find for us was in the outskirts of Copenhagen.
So, last night at 9 pm we took the Metro to the hostel. Someone gave us the wrong directions so we had to take another train to another station. When we got there, it was dark and raining. We walked for about 15 minutes but couldn't see any buildings.
We decided to turn back and go back to the city to our hostel to see if there were any alternatives.
Most of the hotels nearby were very expensive, over $200 a night.
I asked the manager of the Clarion Hotel nearby whether we can just stay in the lobby since our train was leaving early in the morning. He said yes. However, we found a good hiding spot in our hostel - the staircase in the back of the building.
Believe or not, we slept on the landings of the staircase. We had our sheets on the concrete and our backpacks as pillows. We were able to use the shower and bathroom facilities in the hostel. No one came to bother us. It was not a restful sleep but it was better than roaming the streets.
Well...that's a lesson to be learned. We need to plan ahead where we want to go and booked the hostels in advance.

We got into Stockholm this afternoon after a 6 1/2 hour train ride from Copenhagen.
So far, the impressions have been great. Our hostel has a great location. It's in Old Town Stockholm, next to the Royal Palace. We'll pay a visit to the King tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you were homeless for a night! My dad taught me to plan ahead. It's good advice. Have fun but stay safe, okay? Great post, great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man... I was in Barcelona without a hostel at one point. After knocking on many doors with not luck, I ended up staying in a creepy hostel that looked haunted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what shawn said, "My dad taught me to plan ahead. It's good advice." I was thinking the same thing when I read this! at least it calls for a good story, right?

    ReplyDelete