Sunday, October 17, 2010

Xe Om

Xe means vehicle. Om means hug.
Xe Om is a motorcycle taxi...you get behind the rider and "hug" him.
They are very common in Vietnam. They are everywhere, usually at strategic locations where there is a lot of foot traffic and at intersections. They usually sit on their motorcycles and gaze around looking for potential customers. Some of them will ask you if you want a ride when you walk by.
On the left you see 3 pictures of Xe Oms' waiting on the street.


So, what's the difference between a regular taxi and a Xe Om?
1. a regular taxi is licensed. Xe Oms' are not.
2. you pay by the meter with a taxi. You negotiate with a Xe Om first before you get on his bike. Otherwise, you'd be in for a big surprise. They love to rip off foreigners.
3. in heavy traffic, a Xe Om can usually get you to your destination faster than a regular taxi because he can weave through traffic.


4. you are in an air-conditioned environment in a taxi. On a Xe Om, you are exposed to the heat, dust, and all the fumes from the traffic. Not a good way to get to work.
5. I rarely take a Xe Om unless I have to, like when it's very difficult to get a taxi during rush hour. I don't think I save money riding a Xe Om because my Vietnamese is very limited and I can't negotiate with these guys.
6. I know very few people who ride Xe Oms' on a regular basis. I usually see a lot of them sitting around idle most of the time.
But, they do serve a purpose when you need one.
They are also common in Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment