Thursday, September 2, 2010

Curry Fish Head


I am in Singapore on a business trip. I met some friends for lunch and one of them suggested an Indian restaurant in Little India.
I used to live across the street from Little India but I almost never go there for lunch or dinner.
I like Indian food but I usually eat them on the street or hawker center (food court).

The first picture you see is what we ordered. It is called banana leaf rice.
The second picture shows the main dish - curry fish head. Now that might gross out a lot of Americans but it's a delicacy here. There's actually a lot of meat around the head and under the gills. The curry is not very spicy but is very flavorful. This dish was featured in Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern on one of his programs.
















The next picture you see is that of the subway station in Little India. Singapore has a very efficient and very clean subway system, called MRT. They really promote mass transportation here and they keep adding more lines. I wish we have this in Phoenix.

















Next you see a picture of one of the streets in Little India. As the name suggests, many Indians live here and there are a lot of Indian shops catering to Indians. Indians going home to India used to stop here to buy stuff like clothes and jewelry before heading back to India. They claim the quality here is better. You can buy freshly-ground curry powder from the shops. The shopkeeper can customize it for cooking chicken, lamb, fish, etc.





Lastly, you see a picture of roti prata. This is like a tortilla, cooked on a flat grill with ghee (clarified butter). This piece has a egg cooked in it and you cut a small piece and dip it in the curry sauce in the small dish. A piece costs about US$1.60.
It's my daughter's favorite dish.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Dad! The food looks great. When you mention the customization of curry spices according to what you're eating, what are some popular spice combinations? Anything that we can get here in the States?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meng....glad to see you are getting your fill of good food. Love the pictures, and the blog! We miss you back here, morning runs are not the same. Hope all is well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    I miss the run along the canal too. I ran this morning around the city center near the hotel. Will be posting some of those pictures soon.
    I don't miss waking up early on Saturday morning though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the food pictures. They never fail to make me hungry! Can't wait to visit in January.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meng, I knew there would eventually be something about food! I just hope you weren't very hungry when you went to each place...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Jon, you will love the food here. There is such a variety and they are all cheap.

    ReplyDelete