Thursday, June 12, 2014

Panda-monium!

This is one place that I've been looking forward to on this trip - a visit to the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding.  As most of us know, pandas are an endangered species.  Their natural habitat is actually in southern Sichuan, near the Yunnan border.  This center was set up so that they can understand pandas' breeding cycle and increase the number of surviving pandas.  Some of the pandas bred here are released into the wild.  All the pandas in zoos worldwide are on loan from this center.

Chengdu Research Base for Giant Panda Breeding
I am not big panda fan but you can't help appreciating their cuteness.  The only other time I have seen a live panda was at the Beijing Zoo.  This time I was expecting to see more and boy, was I in for a treat.


Rules for visiting the center
At the beginning of the tour, our tour guide, who was also the manager for the hostel where I was staying, asked us if we were interested in holding and taking a picture with a panda.  He said it'd require a donation (sizable by Chinese standard).  I thought about it while walking around and finally decided that this is a lifetime opportunity that I shouldn't miss.  Below is a picture of me sitting next to a 10-month old baby (girl) panda.  This was probably the highlight of my trip!

Panda and I

I sat next to the panda for a little over a minute and during the whole time. she was only interested in chewing her bamboo.  I touched her head, nose and paws but she didn't even bother at all.
 

 Bamboo Buffet Feast 

Total Concentration

Napping on a tree


 A full-grown panda

Red pandas, which are also endangered

Incubator with (fake) baby panda.
Aug and Sep is birthing season
The Center gave us each a framed photograph plus other souvenirs. It was professionally done and they made you feel that your donation to panda research was very much appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment