Saturday, June 14, 2014

Jiuzhaigou 九寨溝

Jiuzhaigou (JZG, pronounced "Chiu Chai Go") is one of the most popular tourist attractions in China but not many people outside of China have heard about it.  The name literally means Nine Village Valley but today only 7 villages are inhabited, mostly by Tibetan minorities.  Not much was known about this area until 1974.  Today, it's a popular tourist destination with hotels and all the usual tourist traps here.
JZG is in the northern part of Sichuan province.  I took a 1-hour flight from Chengdu.  Many on the flight were surprised by the cold when they got off the plane.  It's at about 3,000m (about 10,000 ft) elevation.  I joined a local tour so everyone in the group is from different parts of China.  It was a no-frills tour - cheap hotels and simple meals.
We arrived in JZG in the afternoon and only had about 4 hours to see JZG.  That's a pity because you need at least a full day to appreciate its beauty.  We saw a local variety show in the evening.  The next day we visited a Tibetan family, some local shops.  In the afternoon, we went up to Huanglong (Yellow Dragon) Mountain, another top tourist attraction in China.
I am not doing justice to JZG with my pictures.  If you just google "jiuzhaigou pictures" you will see some of the beautiful pictures that others have taken.  The best time to visit JZG is in the fall, when there is a lot of water and the leaves are just changing color.
I am glad I took this opportunity to go to JZG.  It was not originally in my travel plans but since I was so close, I might as well go.  Only regret is that I did not spend more time admiring the beauty of the place.

Rugged mountains in the area

Beautiful waterfalls

Clear Lakes everywhere


A Tibetan variety show

Selling Noodles at the Tibetan Village

A Tibetan Boy

Color pools of water

Temple in Huanglong

There are hundreds of colorful ponds

A mini-waterfall


No comments:

Post a Comment