Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Outside Taipei


Most tourists to Taiwan spend most of their time in Taipei, the capital and biggest city.  However, there are many interesting places to go outside Taipei city itself.  I have the luxury of having no fixed schedule and plenty of time to explore.  When I did my research on Taiwan I found out about the Taiwan Tourist Shuttle.  This is a very creative way for tourists to see different parts of the country on their own and using mostly public transportation.  It is extremely affordable, since it uses mostly public transportation.

For example, on the Crown Northern Coast Line that I was on, I bought a 1-day Taipei City Pass for 180NT (New Taiwan Dollar), which is about US$6.  It allowed me to take the MRT (Taipei Subway) and the shuttle buses all day.  It took me to the northern part of Taipei, called New Taipei City.  Starting from anywhere in Taipei, I took the Red line to the end, Tamsui Station.  At the bus station about 50 meters away I found my tourist shuttle van.  The driver was going on lunch break but he told me that I could take the 862 bus which follows the same route.  It goes along the northern coast of Taiwan. There are many interesting places to stop on the way.  My first stop was the Fugui Cape Lighthouse, the Jingshan Old Street, and finally, the Yehliu Geopark, a place with some interesting rock formations.

The northern coast of Taiwan

Cape Fugui Lighthouse

A beautiful and isolated part of northern Taiwan

Jinshan Old Street

A shrine next to the fishing village

Yehliu Geopark

A popular spot for tourists

A Fishing Boat near Yehliu Park

 Another interesting route is the Muizha-Pingxi route.  It takes you through some hilly terrains and towns where you can hike, walk around some old towns, make some wishes on sky lanterns, etc.  I did not take this bus route but my friend Bang and I took the MRT to Taipei Zoo where we took a ride on the Maokong Gondola.  Getting off at the top we visited some local restaurants, saw some tea plantations and even get to do some tea tasting.  We ended up in the town of Pingxi where many tourists were releasing sky lanterns with their favorite wishes.

Maokong Gondola


Street food vendors

Tea tasting House

Tea Plantation


Lanterns hanging in front of souvenir shop
Families releasing sky lanterns

Fortunes hanging from bridI encouraged
If you are visiting Taipei I encourage you to visit areas outside Taipei.  There is much to offer.  The residents are super-nice and the infrastructure is superb.  Food is always delicious.  Find the right Tourist Information Center and get as much information as you and start exploring on your own.  You will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment