Sunday, February 4, 2018

South America Highlights

I've been enjoying the Phoenix weather for the last 2 months:  the comforts of my bed, riding my bike, going to the gym, seeing friends, etc.  I've also been planning my travels for 2018 and I think I have most of the year planned.  The first trip coming up for 2018 is to South America.  I've never traveled there; that's one reason why I am going there this year.

My first destination is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  It was in the news a lot last year because of the summer Olympics.  However, I am going there at this time of the year because of Carnival.  This is celebrated in most predominantly Catholic countries but the biggest and most famous is the Rio Carnival.  I was planning to go there on my own; getting my own ticket to the parade, booking my own hotel, etc.  After looking into it, I found it's safer to go with a tour so that there are more people in the group.  Safety in numbers.  Rio itself is not the safest city.  Even Brazilians warn me about venturing into the Favelas, a kind of slum that is famous for drug traffickers and crime.  Besides Carnival, I plan to visit Sugarloaf Mountain, the beaches, and enjoying good Brazilian food in the city.  Here is the tour that I will be taking:  Rio Carnival City Experience

After Rio, I will start on the South American Tour with the same company:  South America Highlights

This is a 32-day tour that takes me to the highlights of Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and ending in Peru.  It goes from the east coast to the west coast of the South American continent, with some of the most famous attractions including Machu Picchu, Iguazu Falls, Amazon Jungle, salt flats in Bolivia, winery in Mendoza, etc.  To cover such a large area, we'll have 7 flights, and also travel by 4WD, Public Bus, Private vehicles and train.  Below is a map showing where I will be traveling.

South American Highlights Tour

My last stop will be Lima, Peru.  The tour will be there for only 1 day but I plan on staying in Lima for 3 extra days.  I will be staying in the city center so that I can easily visit the museums, the cathedrals, and perhaps even Chinatown.  Peru is famous for its hybrid Peruvian-Chinese food and I want to try the real thing.  When I visit my children in New York City, we often go to a very popular Peruvian Chinese restaurant called Flor de Mayo.

This is a long and exciting trip that I've been looking forward to for a long time.  Keeping checking back for updates, as I travel to some of the best-known places in South America.

No comments:

Post a Comment