Monday, March 27, 2017

First Impressions of Tokyo

This is not my first visit Tokyo.  It's the third time.  However, in my two previous visits, I was pretty much chaperoned around by my friend Takeshi.  This time he is too busy at work to show me around except for the weekends.  This is good.  It allows me to explore things on my own at my own pace.  It's exactly what I love about traveling alone.  I don't have a set itinerary.  I know what I want to do but I don't know the details.  They are filled in by what I see and what I encounter.  What I see and feel is different from what another person sees and feel.  Nothing is orchestrated.  That's why I try to stay away from group tours as much as I can.  Group tours are planned down to the minute or hour and everyone in the group swarmed around the same thing.  Enough said.  Let's get on with it.

My first morning in Tokyo, I went with Takeshi to the Shinagawa train station, across the street from his apartment.  It was crowded.  The mass of people going into and leaving the station is overwhelming, just like any big city.  However, the difference here, I noticed, is that people walk almost in an orderly manner.  The crowd just flows.  Someone might cut in front of a group but there is no collision or dirty looks.  If a stray bumps into someone, the protocol is to bow.

Morning crowd at Shinagawa Station

I took a local commuter train to the Ginza district to meet a friend.  In spite of the crowd, people were orderly.  Yes, everyone is trying to find a little space.  But, there is no pushing and shoving.  The other thing I noticed is that everyone dressed well.  I didn't see many wearing T-shirts or jeans.  I am sure not everyone has a managerial job.  Another thing I noticed was that everyone was well-groomed.  No messy hair; nice but not excessive makeup.  Definitely, no strong perfume.  Whereas Americans like to be different and unique, Japanese like to conform.  They don't want to standout.  That's why everyone is smartly, not overly, dressed.

At the store and restaurant, you are treated with the utmost respect.  There is no demeaning talk back or loud responses.  Even the lowliest paid workers are polite.

One other thing visitors to Japan will notice is that small-time theft is very uncommon.  I've seen Japanese leaving their purses and just walk to the counter or bathroom without worrying someone might take it.  It just doesn't happen here.

Tokyo is a very crowded place, just like New York City.  Real estate prices are very very high.  Therefore, rent is very high too.  The average person just cannot afford to buy a condo or house.  If my friend is an average worker, then most Japanese professionals can afford only a small apartment in the city.  Otherwise, they have to live further away from the city and have a long commute everyday.  Like they said, it's a nice play to visit.

How do you move so many people around in Tokyo. Trains.  That's what I will talk about in another post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment