Saturday, May 2, 2015

New York City Marathon

I am taking time to catch up on my blog while I have some down time and before I embark on a series of travels this summer.  Since my last major overseas trip to China, I've been to quite a few places, most of them short domestic trips.  I will add a few that I think will be interesting to my friends.  Here are my travels the last 6 months:


  1. September 2014 - Singapore - Visiting family and attend friend's son's wedding
  2. November 2014 - New York City - Marathon
  3. November/December 2014 - Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, San Diego - Touring with nieces
  4. December 2014 - Las Vegas, Grand Canyon - Showing friends from Vietnam around
  5. January 2015 - Telluride, CO - skiing
  6. January 2015 - San Francisco with Candy
  7. February and March 2015 - Singapore - Visiting family
  8. March 2015 - Yangon, Myanmar
In this post I will share my experience running the 2014 New York City (NYC) Marathon.  This is my 10th full marathon and the 2nd time that I am running the NYC Marathon.  The last one was in 2009.  I love running the NYC Marathon.  It is such a big festive event with almost 50,000 runners from all over the world.  It's one of the best organized event with so many people.

The marathon runs through all 5 boroughs of NYC:  starting in Staten Island, then crossing over the Verrazano Bridge to Brooklyn, north to Queens, cross over the Queensborough Bridge to Manhattan, north to the Bronx, and then back to Manhattan, ending in Central Park.  It's like taking a running tour through the city.  Crowds were cheering everywhere and there were bands at almost every block.

The morning started out cold and windy.  I was wrapped in 4 layers!  The wind was blowing so hard when we crossed the Verrazano Bridge, that many runners had their hats blown off and some couldn't run steadily.  Once we crossed into Brooklyn, we started seeing the crowd and the fun began.  It was fun reading some of the signs that spectators used to cheer their friends or relatives.  The crowd and the bands definitely give you a boost of energy and stamina.

The last 2 miles of the marathon is in Central Park.  Again, the crowds were cheering the runners.  You know the end is in sight and you just want to get it over with.  You feel so good when you cross the finish line.  Below are pictures of the marathon.

Picking up my number at the Expo

Temperature when we started in the morning

Bagel and coffee with my son Shawn

Thank You Dunkin Donuts!


At the Starting Area in Staten Island

Crossing the Verrazano Bridge to Brooklyn

One step at a time

Showing Off

Shawn and Ella waited at 1st Ave and 110 St in Manhattan

Looking Good


Hi Cameraman!

Crossing the finish line.  Finally, 26.2 miles.

My time at different splits

Rewarded myself with a plaque

No comments:

Post a Comment