Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Life Around the Lake

Whenever I tell someone I live by Truc Bach Lake, they always comment on how nice the area is. I couldn't agree with it more. Some Hanoians still call this area a village. There are residents who have lived here for many, many years. It's also a popular area for foreigners. The apartments here are not cheap; most start at US$2,000.
If you recall in one of my earlier blogs, John McCain fell into this lake when he was shot down in 1967. Below are pictures of some activities around the lake.



Women doing Tai-Chi in the morning








A street vendor selling bananas on her bicycle. There are usually at least half a dozen such vendors in the morning, selling all kinds of tropical fruits: pineapples, dragon fruits, pomeloes, guavas, oranges (with a green skin), jackfruit, etc.







Another group of vendors selling flowers on the sidewalk. Vietnam grows a lot of flowers.








Someone selling porcelain plates, bowls, pots, etc.









Another group of vendors on the sidewalk selling vegetables and fruits. On my side of the road where I took this picture is a market with stalls selling meat and vegetables and other grocery items.








There is even a gym (sort of) by the lake. There are only 2 barbells. One of the bars is actually made of bamboo. I come here to lift weights after my run. It's no 24-Hr Fitness or LA Fitness but hey...it's free. There is a bunch of local guys who just hang out and chat in the morning.





Someone selling food. I think it's porridge.
In the evening, there are outdoor cafes' around the lake selling drinks. There are also many restaurants serving hot-pots in the evening.








Paddle boats shaped like swan. They are popular at night with young couples.








There are many restaurants and bars catering to foreigners around the lake. Here you see a pub







Where there is a lake, there is water. This guy is adding to the water level in the lake. Unfortunately, the locals dump all kinds of stuff into the lake. It's one of the most polluted lakes in Hanoi. In spite of that, there are people fishing in the lake. I hope they don't take it home for dinner or sell it.





To my American friends and family: Happy Thanksgiving!
Some of my friends in Vietnam have heard of Thanksgiving but of course, they don't celebrate it here. Some restaurants offer Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day but I don't think I miss turkey that much. But I miss the candied yam and pecan pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment